Adding MVVM Light to an existing project
If you want to add MVVM Light to an existing project, you should rather use the NuGet package manager to download and add MVVM Light!
Getting the source code
If you are so enclined, you can get the source code for MVVM Light. This is completely optional. MVVM Light is an open source project distributed under the MIT License. For more information, please refer to this page.
Cleaning up before installation
MVVM light is fairly "old"; "historically", files were installed in various locations. In
order to avoid issues, if you know that older versions of MVVM Light were installed manually,
we recommend cleaning up the old files. To make this easier, you can download a cleanup
application and follow the instructions on the "Cleaning" page.
The best way to install MVVM Light in Visual Studio 2012 and 2013 is to use the Extensions and Updates gallery.
- Start Visual Studio 2012 or 2013.
- Select the menu Tools, Extensions and Updates
- In the Extensions and Updates dialog, select Online on the left hand side.
- Enter "mvvm light" in the search field.
- Press the Download button.
- Wait until the download completes.
- Accept the license.
- Press the Restart button.
After MVVM Light was installed, you can select File, New Project and see the MVVM Light project templates for your developing pleasure :) Also, if you set the cursor in code and type "mvvm", you will see the code snippets available for you.
What about Visual Studio 2010?
At this time we do not support a full installer for Visual Studio 2010. I am working on it. For the time being, please use Nuget to add MVVM Light to your application in Visual Studio 2010.
Open Source License
The MVVM Light Toolkit is distributed under the MIT License
Copyright (c) GalaSoft Laurent Bugnion 2009 - 2014,
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
Should you encounter any issue with the installer or MVVM Light, please choose from the following:
- For general questions around MVVM Light, please use StackOverflow with the mvvm-light tag for your question. StackOverflow is a community-driven question/answer site where people from the wonderful MVVM Light community are eager to help you!
- For issues found in MVVM Light (bugs), please use the Issue Tracker in Codeplex.
- For feature requests or discussions, you can use the Codeplex Discussions board.
- Finally, should you have a request that does not fit with the above, feel free to send an email. However, please allow some time for a reply.
Thanks and Happy Coding!